Pages

Tuesday 19 February 2013

How To Throw The Ultimate 90s Themed Party

This past Friday my friends and I threw the niftiest nineties party this decade has ever seen for two of my friends' birthdays. We were all born in the early nineties, so the theme was perfect.  Britney Spears, Zack Morris and even Tommy Pickles made an appearance at the party. The playlist was bumpin' and the guest list only included the hottest celebrities. Since the party was a huge success I thought I would share with the blogosphere how you too can throw the ultimate 90s party.




Pictures from the party:

I dressed up as Courtney Love for the evening. I wore a black baby doll dress, combat boots, smeared red lipstick and a lot of black eyeliner. I also made sure to have at least ONE picture with my husband Kurt. I also made sure to stay in character the entire night by screaming at Kurt and dropping way too many curse words. 


Three of my friends went as the Rugrats (Left to right: Chuckie, Angelica and Tommy Pickles). Tommy Pickles also made sure to carry around his trusty screwdriver and Angelica was carrying around her precious dolls. 

In this photo we have the female version of Kurt Cobain kissing angry Courtney on the cheek. Zack Morris and Kelly Kapowski on the right and Britney Spears from her first major hit Hit Me Baby One More Time in the front. 

Britney Spears and Courtney Love. 

Denim on denim on denim on denim. 

Salt n Peppa in the middle. 

Here are some more costume ideas: 

Single Costumes:
Will Smith as Fresh Prince of Bel-Air
MC Hammer
Marilyn Manson
Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman
Cher from Clueless
Gwen Stefani
Tupac


Group Costumes:
Destiny’s Child
Spice Girls
Sex and the City
S Club 7
Backstreet Boys
Lou Benga and the girls from Mambo No. 5 (Monica, Erica, Rita, Tina, Sandra, Mary, Jessica) (girls can wear Hi my name is ____ tags)
Rugrats
Recess 



Couple Costumes: 


Harry & Lloyd from Dumb & Dumber

Courtney Love & Kurt Cobain
Britney Spears & Justin Timberlake
Salt N Peppa
Jay & Silent Bob
Zack Morris & Kelly Kapowski 
Steve & Doug Butabi from A Night at the Roxbury

If you don't want to dress like anybody specific, make sure you wear a ton of denim, splash pants, and plaid. 

Now that you have picked out your costume, you need to find the perfect jams for the evening.


The 30 songs that were the biggest hit of the night (I had over 90 songs on the playlist):

1. I Want it That Way - Backstreet Boys
2. Hit Me Baby One More Time - Britney Spears
3. Barbie Girl - Aqua
4. Smells Like Teen Spirit - Nirvana
5. Spice Up Your Life - Spice Girls
6. Tubhumping - ChumbaWamba
7. It Wasn't Me - Shaggy
8. The Bad Touch - Bloodhound Gang
9. Blue - Eiffel 65
10. S Club Party - S Club 7 
11. Thong Song - Sisquo 
12. What I Got - Sublime
13. House of Pain - Jump Around
14. Wonderwall - Oasis
15. You Can't Touch This - MC Hammer
16. Hypnotize - Biggie Smalls
17. Say My Name - Destiny's Child
18. What's My Age Again - Blink 182
19. What Is Love - Haddaway
20. Baby Got Back - Sir Mix a Lot
21. My Name Is - Eminem
22. MMMBop - Hanson
23. Semi-Charmed Life - Third Eye Blind
24. Getting' Jiggy Wid It - Will Smith
25. Mambo No. 5 - Lou Benga
26. I See You Baby - Groove Amanda
27. We Like To Party - Vengaboys
28. No Scrubs - TLC
29. Saturday Night - Whigfield
30. Informer - Snow 

If you are planning to do 90s karaoke at your party, you can make a game out of it!

1. The Best Creed Impression
2. The Best Shania Karaoke
3. Whoever can sing the FULL version of The Fresh Prince (not just mini-version from the show).
4. Whoever knows the ACTUAL words to Informer by Snow.
5. Whoever knows the order of the girl names in Lou Benga's Mambo No. 5. 

If you are planning to do some trivia here are some sample questions:

1. Q: What is the date of Tupac's death? 
A: September 13, 1996
2. Q: Name all the occupation's of each Friend's character.
A: Joey: Actor, Rachel: Works for Ralph Lauren, Monica: Chef, Chandler: IT, Ross: Palaeontologist, Phoebe: Musician (or Masseuse) 
3. Q: Name three one hit wonders from the 90's 
A: "What's Up?" 4 Non-Blondes, "I Wish" Skee Lo, "Tubhumping" ChumbaWamba (also a hundred other options)
4. Q: What were the names of the two original Destiny Child's 
A: LaTavia Roberson and LaToya Luckett
5. Q: What year did "Ginger Spice" leave the Spice Girls?
A: 1998

For the decor, our house already had a bunch of posters that fit the 90s theme. We had a huge Friends poster and a Red Hot Chilli Pepper's poster in the basement. Be sure to throw in some glowsticks for the 90s candy ravers. And if you have left over pogs from your childhood, be sure to throw them around. Don't forget happy face stickers! 

Now you are ready to party like S Club 7!



10 comments:

  1. This must have been epic!! How awesome!! I definitely want to throw a 90s themed party for my birthday!! I LOVE the Rugrats costumes!!! So awesome!! =P

    Ergo - Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought the Rugrats theme was so original I loved it!

      Summer x

      Delete
  2. Looks like you had fun! i love how you kept your character in every photo, haha :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I know! I commit to my characters

      Summer x

      Delete
  3. This looks like a complete blast, love the idea! Courtney love was such a good choice haha! Hope you're having a great day!
    xo Hannah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Not many people dressed grunge so I thought it was perfect!

      Summer x

      Delete
  4. This is the best idea ever! As a fellow 90's child, I'm thinking this would be great for my 21st next year :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hahaha, I love this! You're a convincing Courtney! I'm going to look up all of these songs and have my own nineties night.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great idea! It looks like it was a lot of fun. I'm going to have to convince my friends to do this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How fun!!! The costumes were great!

    ReplyDelete

BLOG DESIGN BY KOTRYNA BASS DESIGN