Pages

Friday 8 March 2013

Frugal Fashion Finds Friday: Prom Dresses

It's that time of year where teenage girls flock to the most expensive boutique in their city to buy that extravagant mediocre looking $500 dress for their Senior High School Prom. 

I had the fortunate opportunity to attend two proms. When I was in Grade 11 I attended my then-boyfriend's prom and my Senior Prom which was two years ago and I'm not going to brag or anything but I was the best dressed there (I'm sure every girl there would beg to differ saying they were best dressed .... but really I was). 

I bought both my dresses online from a shop called Conie Fox. YOU BOUGHT YOUR PROM DRESS ONLINE ARE YOU INSANE?! I actually had very few issues with the dresses that I bought online. For one they were SUPER inexpensive compared to the $500 semi-nice looking dresses a lot of the girls wore and I didn't need to get any alterations done. Shopping online isn't hard as long as you read the proper measurements when ordering. 


Dress: Conie Fox (I just checked the updated price.. I bought this for $80 and they raised their price to $364... I lucked out) 

THROWBACK this is in 2010 at my then-boyfriend's prom when I had brown hair (I'm never doing that again) but at least my boobs looked big to distract you from my brown hair. ~Blondes have more fun~. Anyways I love the colours to this dress and the gold sequins created a shape similar to a butterfly which was stunning. The only issue I had with this dress were the boobs I had some nip slips so we had to pin it but that's only because I was too cheap to get it altered. Overall, stunning dress that I got for only $80 and my jaw dropped when I saw the raised price! 





Dress: Conie Fox (I bought this for around $120 and the price is now $168) 

The following year was my senior prom and I brought back the blonde. I loved this dress, I felt like the most beautiful girl in the room in this dress. When shopping online the colour looked a little more beige than grey but when I received it it didn't matter, it was beautiful. I honestly thought I had the best dress at prom and I know for a fact I spent the least amount on a dress too. 

If you are worried about shopping for prom dresses online. DON'T BE. If you are worried that it may be too small just order a size bigger and you can always get it altered. 

My 2013 Frugal Prom Dress Picks Under $150.....


Long Formal Dress

onetwothreefour

Personally I prefer to wear a long formal dress for prom because unless you are going to walk the red carpet you rarely get to wear one! 

Short Formal Dress
onetwothree

If you are looking for something a little more casual but still formal enough for prom here are some fabulous picks for you! My favourite is the first one! 

What did you wear to your prom?



23 comments:

  1. Your dresses are gorgeous! I went to two proms too (we call them Debs in Ireland) and for the last one I only spent $60 on my dress because I got it online too :)

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omg your dress was stunning! I didn't go to prom, I graduated as a sophomore and my husband was older than me, but if I would have went I would have picked something similar! Very glamorous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Graduated as a sophmore!? I WISH.

      Summer x

      Delete
  3. you looked amazing! and your brown hair are not too bad at all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks Kotryna! I guess the brown hair isn't THAT bad but I think my personality fits more of a blonde!

      Summer x

      Delete
  4. Whoa I'm in love with your second dress! I never went to prom because I thought I was too cool lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha my boyfriend didn't go to his prom either!

      Summer x

      Delete
  5. Really lovely dress! And what a bargain too, you were really lucky :)

    PS: You rock both hair colours ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks Gia! Maybe I'll get bored with blonde and go back brunette who knows!

      Summer x

      Delete
  6. Wow I loveeeeeee the dresses you wore!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You look wayyyyy better than I did on my prom night! Jealous! Great picks!

    The Introverted Brunette

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice prom dresses. Love the length. Long is a go!

    zuleyb.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. For my senior prom, I bought a $5 dress at the thrift store. I was lucky to find it because it was a really nice dress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WOW $5?!?! now THAT is a bargain

      Summer x

      Delete
  10. Both your dresses were beautiful! My prom dress was a vintage 1930's bridal neglige which I got a baby blue satin floor length lining made for to off-set the bridal look of the dress. It was absolutely beautiful - flowy chiffon and lace and pearls - to die for and only $80!!! I had so many compliments all night off teachers and parents (and some of the less stuck up students) and I felt like an absolute princess! I never could have found a brand new dress which I loved as much as I loved the vintage one I had. It was very me, it was the cheapest dress there and in my opinion, t was definitely the most beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the blonde! It definitely suits you! I also love the second dress! There could be a bias because I'm typically not a fan of the shape of the top half of the first dress. It doesn't work for my shape, but you rocked it! My boobs are far too big for something like that. The second one is very classy, and I see your comparison to long dress and red carpet. You look red carpet ready! I too bought mine online...ten years ago ugh! I feel old...Mine was a black tulle skirt and a black top. I think I was ahead of myself at the time. I liked it though!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Both gowns are gorgeous! I saw you at the Aloha Friday blog hop and I am your newest follower in GFC from http://inhighheelsanddogtags.blogspot.jp/. I look forward to seeing you over at my blog next :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Europe, my favorite, and I also like cheap wedding dress (http://www.dressyms.com). Also a good choice!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Please how tall are you?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for your great post:) Very good article, it was attracting the attention of customer service short purple prom dresses

    ReplyDelete

BLOG DESIGN BY KOTRYNA BASS DESIGN